Thursday, June 10, 2010

I count it a major blessing in my life to have known Hazel Castleman and I will miss her more than I have words to express. I thank God for all the time He let me spend with her laughing, eating ice cream, talking pig-Latin and sitting together on the porch looking at the stars. I saw her almost daily for the last couple years. She was always interested in whatever was going on in my life... a mission trip; a project I was crocheting; a 20- page paper I was writing; the little ones I get to serve; getting my driver's license; my classes; the pain in my arm or my friends. No matter what it was, she would ask about it and encourage me in it. One thing we never did was sit and discuss Theology. I attend Bible college and have been blessed to sit under godly men and learn great truths from God's Word. But when I graduate in December, it will be the life lessons I learned from the older saints like Hazel Castleman and Bill Rorick that I will never forget.

Look around the room and our church. We are blessed with godly seniors who have a wealth of wisdom to share. "Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days" Job 12:12. Go seek them out and get to know them. Ask them questions about their childhood, marriage, and life. Listening to their stories and seeing how God has been faithful throughout their lives will encourage you as it has me.

"What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9

Hazel taught me more than she'll ever know. I love her and will miss her terribly. I'm so happy for her that she is with her Lord and Savior and I know one day we will together in Heaven praising Him.


2 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you for posting this, Mary. What a special tribute to Hazel. I was privileged to know her just a portion of what you did, but I will miss her too.

Cathy said...

Thank you for writing such a lovely tribute to Hazel. I know you'll miss her. I knew her just a fraction of what you knew her and I will miss her too.