Sunday, February 24, 2008

What Lies Ahead?

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." Psalm 23:8

Although it wasn't a newsflash to me that God sees everything, this verse really spoke to me, especially the part "...with my eye upon you". When I read it I pictured a mother and her children. She is always watching and aware of where they are and what they are doing so she can keep them safe and out of trouble.

"Careful...the floor is wet. Don't touch that it will burn you. Stay out of the street. Time for bed. I can't let you do that because I love you. Don't run with that in your mouth. No more TV. Trust me, it's for your own good. Don't be afraid, I'll catch you. That wasn't kind. I'm making you do that because I love you. No more cookies, your body needs healthy food."

Just like a doting parent , God the perfect parent is saying,
"Mary, trust me. Don't go there. I'm watching you. My timing is perfect. Don't be afraid. Follow me. Be still. Go. Avoid that kind of talk. Don't worry. Look at me. RUN. Stay away from things that distract you. That's not for you. I know what you need. You can do it, I'll help you. Keep your thoughts on me. If you fall, I'll pick you up. I love you."

If it's beneficial for me to heed the advice of my earthly parents because they are wiser and have my best interests at heart, how much better is it for me to follow what the loving Father, Creator and all-knowing God of the universe instructs me to do?

1 comment:

Hannah said...

How true!!! How are you Mary??? I should send you an email... but I'll wait till tomorrow morning (it's almost one and I need to get off!!!!).