Friday, October 10, 2008

Happy 80th birthday, Bill Rorick!


Tonight, I had the privilege of attending Bill's 80th birthday dinner. When I walked in his face lit up and he came right over and hugged me really tight. He said if everyone invited had shown up and I didn't he would have been very upset. I wanted to cry, but thankfully I didn't break down. He and Linda had me sit with them at their table. I was so proud as I listened to person after person stand up and testify how God used him in their lives. Then Bill got up and talked about how many times in his life doctors have told him or his parents that he wouldn't live. He shared that God had a purpose for his life and it was to share the Gospel. Someone stood up and said that it was strange to be with Bill at Greenhouse Cafe because if you want to find him you go to Starbucks or Barnes and Noble. There he'll be, deep in conversation with someone...sharing the Lord. Everyone in the banquet room nodded and laughed.

Bill looked tired, but was doing well tonight. He plans to cycle to Solvang at the end of the month. I don't know how long God will let him live, but I do know that Bill will be sharing Christ until his dying breath. I'm so thankful to have him in my life. I will be heartbroken when he dies, but the real heartbreak would be to never have known him. Besides, how can I not want for him to be in the presence of Jesus? That will be a day of celebration!

I know there are many difficult days ahead. To all who are praying, thank you so much and keep praying! God is good even when circumstances are not.

No comments: